Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Pledge of a twenty three year old

Twenty three years old. Some say that we are still very young and have a long time ahead where we can decide our future. Somehow, time just seems to be flowing away second by second and all we can do is think ‘If only I’d … earlier….’

Just came back from a gathering with a couple of close buddies. It felt good meeting all of them after a while and we updated each other on the progress of life after graduation.

All the updates leaded to one summary – Life sucks.

Overworked, meaningless work, low pay, no social life, repetitive routine, underperformance, politics and work pressure are just a pinch of our complains of life.

Got me wondering on the meaning of life again. Where are our dreams to pursue? What is the definition of happiness? What are our plans to get out of the rat race and not live a meaningless life complaining about life and hoping for a promotion or increment that we might not even get?

Everyday at work, we complain about the same old thing. We complain about the government, our management, the rise of petrol price, how our bosses do not appreciate us, or why our fellow colleague gets a higher pay than us. Guess we are just being typical humans after all. NATO – No Action Talk Only. All we do is feel suppressed, exploited, and get pushed around but most of us just suck it up and complain without doing anything about it.

As for me, I wonder how many times have this topic crossed my mind. How many times have I thought of doing something to improve my life but I have always had the ‘I will do it tomorrow’ attitude. Yea, about 268 tomorrows already passed and I still think that I’ll do it tomorrow. And tomorrow is just another day, where I’ll be thinking of how nice it’d be if it was still the weekend. It is time to change. It is time to take a step forward and do something to change my life into something meaningful. It’s time to make tomorrow a day we look forward to with such excitement and enthusiasm. It is time for actions and not just empty talk.

This post will mark the day of my burning spirit and remind me to strive forward and not just slump behind.

Screams a war cry and goes back to bed.




No comments: