Sunday, June 05, 2005

Sunday Fishing

Tried my best at persuading Eve to follow me fishing. Finally, it seemed like it was easier breaking a diamond with a rock, so I went alone. Again to Subang lake where there was a pay pond and many people were already fishing there.

Bought a ball of chicken feed mixed with flour for 3 bucks and picked a spot, fixed my rod and cast the line. A nearby guy saw his float sank underwater. He yanked it and his rod started bending like crazy. Slowly reeling it in, he finally managed to pull the fish up. It was more than a foot long. The fishes there were quite big and aggressive. There was this guy who was day dreaming when his whole rod was suddenly yanked into the water. Luckily, the rod got stuck to the fishing line of the guy fishing beside him. Pulled up the rod and continued tackling the fish. Was another huge one. The guy beside me warned me to watch my rod as there are many rods at the bottom of the lake. There were many restaurant fishes there such as patin, soon-hock, tong-san, rahu and many other fishes. Some of the guys there caught more than 15 fishes and there was this guy who needed a wheelbarrow to wheel his catch to his car.

Okay, enough about other people. Let’s talk about me fishing.
Was sitting there for like 2 hours, not feeling a bite, reeling it in to find the bait gone, exchanging of bait, recasting and the process continues. Was wondering if anyone even bought the bait from the pond operators (yea, I bought mine there). For me it was more of a mental game to keep alive my hopes of getting a fish. This mental game soon turned into a mental torture when everyone started leaving with a great haul. It was getting dark and I changed the final bait of the day and cast it. Threw the remaining bait into the water and started packing up. Then I waited a while longer. Suddenly, I noticed my line moving a little. I moved my hand closer to my rod. Then this time came a harder yank and I grabbed the rod and yanked it. Started reeling in and could feel something heavy at the end. The line moved everywhere and my rod bent like crazy. Finally, I managed to pull it up. It was a CATFISH! ( the cheapest fish in the lake) but it was a whooping 2 footer. Oh yea! Two footer. The biggest catch of my lifetime. Then I noticed something. I hooked it at its fin. A Chinese uncle and his daughter came over to see my catch.

“Wow! That fish is huge!”

“But…I caught it by the fin. Wonder if I should feel proud or embarrassed.”

“Haha. No need to be embarrassed. It’s a one in a million chance.”

Nah, I thought to myself. This was actually my SECOND time catching a fish by its fin. Anyway, I brought the fish home and dumped it my 3 foot aquarium. My trophy. I guess, at the end of the day, this catch made my day.


Catch of the day - The small fish there is as long as my hand Posted by Hello

=============================================
The midnight stranger

My housemate was sleeping soundly when he woken up by a knock on the door. He sat up and listened carefully. He heard something like someone dragging their feet while walking. The lights were on so he assumed that it was me. Then he saw a shadow at his door and a knock came again.

The next thing I knew was he kicking me out of bed and saying “Your fucking catfish is at my door!”


The midnight stranger Posted by Hello

4 comments:

@EventBuds said...

haha.. long live the catfish~! I bet laurent was scared. ahah

Angry Panda said...

he was planning to leave it out there to die...can u believe that...damn...

Angry Panda said...

Yea! That huge thing jumped out! It's a catfish. Literally has 9 lives. Yea, it survived!

Angry Panda said...

Broke off the sting already...now leaving it in the aquarium for a while. let the river smell get off. then maybe bring to restaurant kua. asam! haha but then wonder if anyone brings a CATFISH to a restaurant.